Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The video below was made as part of a presentation for one of my electives in college called conflict management. It contains scenes from the movie BLOOD DIAMOND (must see movie! ) . I couldn't show it in my presentation due to lack of time but i feel it truly deserves a spot on my blog. Isn't it ironic that Sierra Leone is the poorest country in the world, while it has a rich set of natural resources and minerals, including diamonds, which have caused entire countries and corporations to get involved to fight over them? I truly believe that the resources of a country are the sovereign property of its people. They are not anyone elses to steal or exploit in the name of comfort or consumerism. Civil war raged for the control of diamond fields in Sierra Leone. Thousands have died and millions became refugees. None of whom has ever seen a diamond!I want to thank Preets (Myla) for making me watch the movie and to Merben for making the video (Kudos to you!) :)

2 comments:

Sowmya said...

long time no post!cant watch tat video here,but ur sentence "I truly believe that the resources of a country are the sovereign property of its people." reminded me of our nations vast Human Resource servin other countries!

Harini Padmanabhan said...

kutti thala.. postlaam gaja seriousa irukku. :D